What Are SIGs and BOFs
From: Jay Sage, Conference Webmaster (webmasteriajgs2020.org)
Date: Tue, 7 Jul 2020 16:55:51 -0700 (PDT)

I'm not sure exactly how to answer Peggy Kugel's question about SIGs and BOFs. Here are my thoughts.

Since this year's SIG/BOF program is just now being reorganized since the in-person conference was cancelled, go to the website of last year's conference in Cleveland. The website is at 2019.iajgs.org.

Under the "PROGRAM" tab, click on "SIG & BOF PROGRAMMING". Farther down that page, there is a list of the Special Interest Groups (SIGs) and Birds of a Feather (BOF) groups that participated in the conference. You'll see that they are groups focused on specific, narrower topic in genealogy. Some focus on specific geographic regions, such as the Belarus SIG or the Bukovina BOF. Others focus on topics, such as the DNA Project Administrators BOF or the Rabbinic Genealogy SIG (which did not participate in Cleveland).

To learn more about a specific SIG or BOF, put its name into a Google search. Most of the SIGs have websites. Note that JewishGen, which hosts many of the SIGs, has changed the formal designation from "Special Interest Group" to "Research Division" (but we all still call them SIGs).

-- Jay

  • (no other messages in thread)